Sunday, July 19, 2009

Count Down

So, in less than seven weeks I am going to be boarding a plane and flying to Barcelona to start a new chapter in my life. Obviously this is very exciting, intimidating, exhilarating, scary and a host of other adjectives. Everyone who knows about this trip asks me about it pretty frequently and I actually surprise myself with the sort of lackadaisical manner in which I've been responding. "I'm excited, it'll be cool," I'll reply to enthusiastic inquiries about my trip, or "No, I'm not worried, I'm sure I'll be fine."

I don't really know why this is. I am absolutely excited and think this will be an incredible experience, but for some reason, I'm just very blase' about it right now. Maybe it's just because I get asked about it so frequentl. I can't sustain a high enough level of enthusiasm for every person who asks. It's like when you go out the night before Thanksgiving the first few years after graduating high school and have the exact same conversation with 28 people from your class who you don't really care very much about. "Yeah, I'm at <>, I'm majoring in <>. Dude, did you see how fat <> got?!"

Or at your college graduation party when you answer the same questions from extended family and friends about your plans. "Well, I'm taking the summer to figure out what I want to do. Yes, I know real adults don't get summer vacations. No, I don't want to be a teacher so I guess this will be my last summer off. No, I hadn't heard about how successful your kids are, please tell me."

Maybe when it gets closer, maybe when I have the address of where I'll actually be living or when the other two big dates on my summer calendar (my friend Beth's wedding and a couple events for work)have passed and this is the only thing on the horizon, then it will really sink in. Although maybe it will be good if it doesn't; the blase' attitude could certainly help me fit in with the Catalans.

No comments: