Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Squeal

Ok, my blog usually focuses on nonsensical, pointless stories about me. However, most people who know me well know that I am very sensitive about I think is fair and unfair and I hate when things are not fair. Usually I am most passionate when things are unfair towards me but I can get up in arms when things are unfair to other people too.

In this case, I am very put out by the HR policy at the work place of one of my good friends.

So, everyone, obviously, is aware of the whole Swine Flu concern. But my main take away from everything I've heard is, wash your hands carefully and often, don't go to Mexico and don't go to work or travel if you exhibit classic flu symptoms- not that difficult. However, a certain rehabilitation hospital seems to feel that this is much bigger threat.

My friend's coworkers have to travel to Vancouver for a conference this week for work, leaving today and returning Saturday. Since they are traveling on a plane, the hospital HR department is requiring that they stay home from work on Monday to allow for a proper "incubation period." BUT- this day away from work on Monday must come out of their PTO (paid time off- i.e. vacation) days!

WHAT?!

I am all for precaution and having the best interest of your employees and patients in mind, but if you are going to come up with this policy that is exclusive to your facility and at the discretion of your facility, then it should be at the expense of your facility. The employees are traveling so that they can offer new, thoughts, ideas and insights to the hospital- if you're going to require that they stay home as a consequence of making this trip for you, you should pay them for that time.

I don't rant often. I don't even get angry very easily at all, even in real life, but this made me mad. I know not that many people read my blog so I know I'm not starting a movement here or anything, but I so rarely feel very strongly about anything, I figured when it does happen I should get it down, for posterity if nothing else.

1 comment:

Tim said...

First, I don't think you write nonsensical pointless posts. Second, these types of HR decisions are how Dilbert came to be. I wouldn't be surprised if that changes once the absurdity settles in.