Thursday, May 28, 2009

This Little Piggy Took Advantage of The Adults in Her Life

I know I already wrote about my trip to the zoo with T-Bone, but I don't feel like I said all there is to say about that day.

I've talked before about how focused T-Bone is on food; so much so that it's almost not even funny anymore- almost. We had seen all there was to see at the zoo and I was ready to head for the exit when she said, "let's go see what's over there." I could clearly see that she was checking out the cafe and picnic area so I knew right where she was going with this.

I decided to play dumb though, to see how far she'd hint without actually asking for food. She asked me what I saw and when I said everything except food, she went so far as to make a motion of putting food into her mouth with her hand. "Oh, um, people eating?" I asked. "You GOT it!" she replied.

I told her we weren't going to get food at the zoo since it probably wasn't good anyway. I did take her to Stewart's though, since I actually hadn't had lunch and was pretty hungry myself. She got a full meal of popcorn shrimp, french fries, and an orange cream soda, and then topped it off with a chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream root beer float.

After that I took her home. We beat her mom home by a few minutes so we were bouncing a ball back and forth in her driveway while we waited. When her mom got there and asked her about the day, she bounced the ball to me and I missed it. As I walked across the yard to get it, I heard her mom say that they were going to go to Red Lobster in a little while for dinner and ask her if she'd eaten. I could hear her even though I could tell she tried to lower her voice when she answered "we just shared some cheese fries."

I couldn't believe my ears- she was telling her mom that I hadn't fed her so that she could eat again. I don't even know how she could have fit any more food in her stomach, but she certainly wasn't going to lose the chance to try!

She has probably been doing this all along, telling her mom and I that the other hadn't fed her so she wouldn't miss out on any culinary opportunity.

After I picked up the ball I walked back, pretended I hadn't heard their conversation and said, "we had a great time, went to the zoo and then to Stewart's for fried shrimp, french fries and ice cream- I'm stuffed!" Then I chuckled good natured-ly, gave T-Bone a long look and got in my car and drove home for a snack...not really.

No comments: