Monday, November 24, 2008

I'll Be Sitting at the Kid's Table on Thursday

My brother and future sister in law put a bid on a house yesterday and it was accepted. I don't think that means it's theirs yet but I guess it's pretty close. I am so excited for them and can't wait to see it. But them taking that step just reminds me how un-grown-up I still feel.

They are purchasing something (granted not with one lump sum, but still) worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. I think the most expensive things I actually own are my TiVo and my iPod- and I didn't even pay for either of those, one was a prize (thank you, Coyne PR) and one was a gift (thanks Mom and Dad).

As much as I like to think of myself as an independent adult, things like this- my brother buying a house, my friends getting married, make me think of all the adult things I don't understand or know how to do or just don't care about, for example:


- I don't know what "escrow" is, or what it means to be in it
- I have no concept of what it happens when you roll over a 401K
- I don't send out Christmas cards
- I wouldn't know how to apply for a loan if I needed one
- I've never really done yard work
- I've never done any of the processing of my tax return
- I call my mom after my voice lessons to tell her the encouraging things my teacher said
- I don't save receipts or file important paperwork
- I never iron clothes; if they are wrinkled I just wet them, lay them out to dry and hope for the best, or if I'm already wearing them I use a blow dryer

On the other hand, I guess there's something to be said for not really owning anything, I don't have to worry too much about losing stuff and I don't have as much personal responsibility. Maybe ignorance is bliss.

1 comment:

Tim said...

If everyone understood things at an adult level we wouldn't be in the economic bind we find ourselves in. And the good news is if you don't know something, you can always find someone who does.